What's new in the animal welfare act
The new animal welfare act in Hungary came into force at 15.01.2010.
But this did not happen without consequences. Caused by this there were a lot of impoundments during the last two weeks. The keeping conditions were tightened. So the privations by the animal-police were made easier.
We expect further impoundments and also penal actions in Hungary. This all owes Hungary to an animal lover.
Dr. Barandy of the Ministry of Justice got down to business and kept his word. There are some more changes which will come into effect.
We already reported about him at the meeting with the Asscociation of Veterinarians in summer.
Here some of the changes:
- Animals which are kept outside, must have adequate equipment to back out by danger or unadequate weather. The operating space is not to be delimited, so that the equipment can be reached.
- Animals which are kept in closed rooms, must have enough operating space and runout. The animal keeper has to take care about this.
- The committee for the approval of animal experiments has to check the requests harder. It is not allowed, that a person, who issued a request or has an advantage out of the animal experiment, is a member of teh committee.
- Animal shelters and animal hostels, have to prove that they are able to finance those accomodations.
- Animal welfare should become a required subject in schools. Information, education and further training about nature and fauna are important.
- Animal abuse will be set under penalty and can be punished with 3 years of imprisonment.
More changes will follow.
Another very important step in the right direction is, that animal welfare will be taught in schools.
We thank Dr. Barandy a lot. He kept his word.
At our meeting in summer he talked about cases of animal abuse, too.
Those actions, however, were stopped. Some cases were real cruel. He said verbally:
"What has to be done, that animal abusers are punished in Hungary"
He instructed the courts to persecute such actions instead of stopping them.